Assistant Director of Restaurants
55 Commercial Street, Gloucester, MA 01930 Gloucester, MA 01930
We are seeking an Assistant Restaurant General Manager to join our Restaurant & Bar Team within our 95-room, full service independent hotel in Gloucester, MA. This position will be responsible for staff development, hiring and creating and maintaining relationships with guests in our restaurant & bar area. The Assistant Restaurant General Manager should possess a strong passion for the guest’s dining experience, while acting as the liaison between the kitchen and the dining room to provide top notch service.
Must have at least three (3) or more years of high-volume, upscale restaurant experience. Prior experience as an Assistant General Manager in the restaurant or hospitality Industry is highly preferred.
TIPS Certification required.
- Serve as the “right hand” to the Director of Restaurant Operations, directing the day-to-day activities and assignments of the Front of the House Team.
- Manage the daily operation of the restaurant, assigning responsibility to the team.
- Hire, train, evaluate and schedule restaurant staff in accordance with the standards of the company and guidelines.
- Conduct pre-shift and assist with departmental meetings, communicating information to the team members, such as house count and menu changes.
- Approve schedules for the restaurant team, ensuring proper coverage based upon volume.
- Work seamlessly and in tandem with the team to create memorable experiences for our guests.
- Accurately execute all policies with improvement to quality, service and operations.
- Train and develop the team, while holding the team accountable for maintaining service.
- Must be present on the floor during peak business periods, visiting tables during the customer’s visit.
- Assist in building sales by utilizing strategy implemented by the Director of Restaurant Operations and the Company.
- Create an environment of engagement for team members, while being a liaison between team members and management.
- Practice and ensure cleanliness and safety in all dining areas, liquor and wine storage areas.
- Coach and counsel team members, monitoring employee performance and issues in a timely manner.
- Control payroll and time edits, owning the time-keeping process.
- Support the company’s philosophy and company culture, by ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Provide direct service to guests as needed.
- Maintain effective communication with the Hotel Team, and additional properties within organization.
- Complete other projects as assigned by the Director of Restaurant Operations.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with maximum efficiency, accuracy and full attention to detail
- Requires a working knowledge of Full-Service restaurant operations.
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise sound logic and judgement in evaluating situations and utilizing appropriate resources.
- Ability to effectively lead and work cohesively as part of a team.
- Must be self-directed, motivated and demonstrate exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Must have experience in all Microsoft Office and knowledge of industry relevant Point of Sale Systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing. A second language is desirable.
- Ability to stand for 10 hours’ length of time
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Executive Recruiter | Hospitality Division
Jason Cotter is Gecko Hospitality’s Executive Recruiter covering all of New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI & VT) within the Hospitality Division. Jason joined Gecko Hospitality after a successful 17-year career in the Food and Beverage Industry working in restaurants, hotels and resorts. A proven operator and leader, Jason brings an extensive food and beverage background to Hospitality Recruiting.
Prior to joining Gecko Hospitality, Jason was the Director of Food & Beverage at the Harbor View Hotel on Martha’s Vineyard. An iconic property dating back to 1891 and is the largest resort on the Island. Overseeing all aspects of the food and beverage department, Jason was able to create a great impact while creating a new energized culture during his task force tenure at the property. The hotel also prides itself in its achievement as “Best Hotel, Cape Cod” multiple times.
Jason held various key leadership roles with The Riverside Hotel, another vibrant historical property dating back to 1936. With two award winning restaurant concept openings on property over an eight-year span. His final role with The Riverside Hotel was the Director of Food & Beverage which over saw the entire front and back of house operations as well as all catering functions for the department. While with Riverside Hotel, Jason received multiple awards including the President’s Award from the hotel and was also named one of the area’s top 30 under 30 up and coming influential leaders. Jason developed two new restaurant concepts on property as well as scaling the hotel catering department from an original 10,000sqft of meeting space to 24,000sqft of meeting space and has a knack for space development and outlet openings.
Jason started his career at a young age working with the Emeril’s Restaurant Group in both Orlando and Miami locations. Working his way up the ladder over a 5 year period from all cook positions to Jason ultimately departing Emeril’s holding the position of Assistant General Manager and Sommelier.
Jason applies a grounded and balanced approach, paired with an analytical method specific to his client’s needs. Jason takes pleasure in matching what’s important to his clients, with what’s important to his candidates – to find the perfect match!