Banquet / Event Manager
5 Park Street, Freeport, Maine, 04032, USA Freeport, ME 04032 US
Banquet Manager / Event Manager
Our Full-Service Hotel has 99 rooms, features over 8,500 sq. ft. of flexible indoor and outdoor event space, ideal for business meetings, seminars, receptions and weddings. The Banquet / Event Manager will work closely with the sales and culinary departments and is responsible for the successful execution of all events held at the hotel. The Banquet / Event Manager reports to the Hotel General Manager and supervises all banquet service associates including set-up, servers and bartenders.
Our property is managed by a growing independent private equity real estate investment and hotel management company based in Burlington, MA. We have added 6 hotels to our portfolio in the last 18 months and we own and operate seven hotels in the New England and Mid-Atlantic Markets. We have several new full service and extended stay hotel projects in the acquisition and development pipeline for 2019 and beyond.
Key responsibilities of the Banquet Manager position include:
- Supervising the daily operations of the banquets department.
- Working closely with the culinary and sales departments to ensure events exceed client expectations.
- Hiring and training banquet staff to serve at various scheduled events
- Overseeing compliance with health, safety standards and responsible service of alcoholic beverage.
- Resolving any guest problems and/or concerns
- Supervising the set-up of function rooms to include placement of linens, silver, china, and glassware according to event order specifications
- Inspecting function rooms and equipment prior to the functions for cleanliness, proper inventory and set up
- Responsible for the cleanliness and condition of the banquet areas and equipment
- Communicating effectively, giving direction, support, timely feedback and recognition of performance
- Assigning and coordinating all schedules for the banquet team
- Monitoring and controlling payroll expense.
- Promotes teamwork and a dedicated service culture among the banquet service associates.
- Minimum of 3 years banquet / event supervisory experience in an upscale facility
- Proven success in an upscale operation.
- Ability to effectively direct and motivate staff to ensure the smooth and efficient operations of the banquet department.
- Knowledge of food and beverage preparations, service standards, guest relations and etiquette
- Knowledge of appropriate table settings and service ware
- Ability to take initiative and ownership to resolve problems
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and directly with guests using a positive, clear speaking voice
- Must have the ability to work with guests and respond immediately and accurately to their needs and requirements
- Ability to multi-task and oversee multiple functions at once
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be willing and have the ability to work a varied schedule that may include evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must have a valid alcohol awareness certification or be capable of obtaining certification
Evan Kaplan, CPC
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
I am Gecko Hospitality’s Partner for the New England market (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI & VT) within the Hospitality Division and I specialize in permanent placement recruiting for hotels, resorts, country clubs and casinos. I joined Gecko Hospitality after a successful 20-year career in food & beverage executive level operations within various Four Diamond AAA resort hotels, Five-Star Platinum country clubs and nationally acclaimed restaurants. An extensive hospitality operational background paired with an award-winning recruiting experience adds significant value for our clients and candidates.
I am THE expert in multiple full-service hospitality recruiting segments and specialize in partnering with hotels, resorts and country clubs. I seek to create a strategic partnership with clients and a personalized relationship with candidates throughout the search process; resulting in the “right” fit for both parties.
I apply a grounded and balanced approach to recruiting, paired with an analytical method specific to our client’s needs. I take pleasure in matching what’s important to our clients, with what’s important to our candidates – to find the perfect match!