Catering Sales Manager
181 Boston Post Road West Marlborough, MA 01752 United States of America Marlborough, MA 01752
Position Title: Catering Sales Manager
Reports To: Director of Sales & Director of Catering
Job Description: Actively pursue new business via phone, email, direct mail and face to face meetings. Effectively coordinate and communicate pertinent hotel event information with hotel staff. Seamlessly collaborate with sales team to generate new business and maintain current accounts.
- Identify, qualify, and actively solicit potential business by telephone, direct contact, or on-site visits.
- Utilize excellent time management skills to stay on task and schedule, to solicit potential new business and working with existing business to secure new revenues.
- Solicit and arrange site inspections for potential and existing customers.
- Meet required marketing and sales goals as assigned.
- Assist the Directors of Sales and Catering in the development of specialty packages and programs.
- Participate in sales programs, activities and special projects, as required.
- Attend sales meetings and maintain office coverage, as required.
- Coordinates details of catered events. Works directly with the customer in setting up and following through on all details of the event.
- Reiterates, in contract form, all specific details concerning upcoming catered events. 10. Works with the revenue manager in researching room pick-up history and shopping the market to assign the appropriate overnight room rate for each proposed event.
- Assist the Director of Food & Beverage and the Culinary Team in planning menus, and sometimes aids in the creation of specialty menus and theme functions.
- Maintains accurate filing and posting systems for past, tentative and upcoming events.
- Assist the Directors of Sales and Catering in forecasting reports and maintain accurate actual reports for month-end.
- Disseminates information to all concerned department heads and staff members through preparation and distribution of detailed banquet event orders at daily catering meetings.
- Handles client issues and take corrective action as appropriate.
- Secure prime business by soliciting and prospecting for future years.
- Projects and responsibilities will vary on market segments, as follows:
- Assist the Accounting Department by reviewing billing of each event and maintaining accurate credit procedures.
- Generate follow-up by phone and in writing.
- Maintain professional appearance and work ethics.
- Attend and travel to community events, seminars, trade shows and meetings as deemed necessary.
- Continually develop professional skills of the business industry by participating in seminars and classes, as offered.
- Assist the Directors of Sales and Catering, with the training and development of the other sales managers and assistants.
- Participate in creating the annual marketing plan.
- Responsible for monthly diary audits.
- Evaluate business on an event-by-event basis to ensure the booking or rebooking of the optimum business.
- Responsible for the coordination of all Pre and Post-convention meetings.
- Meet and greet clients, along with checking set-ups and following through with last minute changes or additions to insure superior guest satisfaction.
- Increase revenues for the hotel by up selling food and beverage items, and hotel services to clients.
- Assist the Directors of Sales and Catering, with all backlogs, forecast and budget information.
- On a scheduled rotation basis provide MOD or Lobby duty as needed.
- Maintain high positive visibility in the surrounding community and in hospitality organizations.
- Experience: One to two years experience in the catering / banquet field, one year in a supervisory capacity. Must posses a general knowledge of food & beverage procedures, controls and administration as well as complete awareness and ability to perform all catering positions. Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace and by guests who regularly visit the workplace. Must have a working knowledge in Microsoft Word, Excel and Delphi Catering software.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality Management or equivalent/relevant working experience.
- Physical: Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally and up to 10 pounds frequently. Require manual dexterity, grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, visual acuity, hearing, writing and excellent speaking ability.
Evan Kaplan, CPC
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
I am Gecko Hospitality’s Partner for the New England market (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI & VT) within the Hospitality Division and I specialize in permanent placement recruiting for hotels, resorts, country clubs and casinos. I joined Gecko Hospitality after a successful 20-year career in food & beverage executive level operations within various Four Diamond AAA resort hotels, Five-Star Platinum country clubs and nationally acclaimed restaurants. An extensive hospitality operational background paired with an award-winning recruiting experience adds significant value for our clients and candidates.
I am THE expert in multiple full-service hospitality recruiting segments and specialize in partnering with hotels, resorts and country clubs. I seek to create a strategic partnership with clients and a personalized relationship with candidates throughout the search process; resulting in the “right” fit for both parties.
I apply a grounded and balanced approach to recruiting, paired with an analytical method specific to our client’s needs. I take pleasure in matching what’s important to our clients, with what’s important to our candidates – to find the perfect match!