Director of Finance
312 Daniel Webster Hwy. Meredith, NH 03253 Meredith, NH 03253
The Controller directs all aspects of hotel accounting including guest service, accounting/budgeting, asset protection, internal control and human resources. The Controller directs all financial aspects of operations in alignment with the direction of the General Manager, Company, operating procedures, internal controls, brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Responsible for quality service, meeting/exceeding financial goals, short- and long-term planning and day-to-day operations. Recommends the Accounting budget, business plans, capital expenditures and manages within approved plans and objectives.
This position directly manages assigned staff and directly manages all subordinates. Articulates Company goals to the staff. Demonstrates commitment to these goals through work ethic, integrity and respect for the Company and associates. Unites associates in a common commitment to achieve and exceed these goals. Works closely with management throughout the hotel and the Company. Impresses guests with quality and timely service in a pleasant and friendly manner.
- Profitability – Develop, recommend, implement and manage the Accounting annual budget, business plan and objectives to meet/exceed expectations. If necessary, develop action steps to correct any expense problems. Ensure all hotel accounting transactions and reporting are accomplished in accordance with the Company’s policies and procedures. Ensure the hotel is in compliance with internal controls. Continuously monitor accounting and financial data for accuracy. Ensure the General Manager and Regional Director of Finance are kept fully apprised of any implications that may affect the financial performance of the hotel. Ensure timely and correct credit and billing procedures are in place. Review vendors and products to ensure procurement of top-quality products at minimum prices. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager.
- Asset Management - Ensure all hotels associates follow the Company’s accounting policies and practices when performing financial transactions. Ensure all money is timely and properly handled, tracked and safely secured. Work with management to ensure associates are properly trained in cash handling procedures and credit card transactions. Ensure adequate controls are installed and maintained for the protection of the hotel’s financial assets against loss or misappropriation. Walk the operations daily to identify issues and to speak with and listen to associates. Ensure preventative maintenance programs are in place to protect assets and maintenance related problems are reported to Engineering through proper channels. Inspect and evaluate the condition of the accounting space, equipment and inventories. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager. Work collaboratively with the Corporate Office to ensure Company assets are accurately tracked. Ensure associates are properly trained in the use and maintenance of Company assets.
- Leadership – Direct all facets of Accounting. Keep abreast of brand standards and the competition's products and strengths to continually improve revenues and profit margins while maintaining quality. Use business/management knowledge, applications in the industry, and experiences to provide leadership, both internally and externally, to assist the General Manager in positioning the hotel as a market leader. Be a coach with a positive attitude on a daily basis. Implement, manage and comply with Company policies, practices and programs. Ensure compliance with brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Ensure optimal levels of quality service and hospitality are provided to guests. Regular and timely attendance with high standards of personal behavior, appearance and grooming including wearing the proper name tag when working.
- Communication – Ensure all communication containing Company, hotel, brand and guest information is consistent with privacy policies, practices and regulations. Maintain a consistent professional and positive attitude when communicating with guests and associates. Maintain effective two-way communications that crosses departmental lines. Approach all encounters and actions with guests and associates in a friendly, service-oriented manner. Conduct regularly scheduled meetings with the Accounting staff to provide organizational information and educate associates on changes and activities. Communicate Accounting activities and plans with peers and superiors to obtain appropriate consultation, guidance and approval.
- Administration – Direct the compilation and analyze various corporate reports and property reports to provide management with accurate information and to comply with corporate policies and procedures as well as government laws and regulations. Complete all required and requested reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested. As requested, assist the General Manager with the preparation of the annual hotel budget and forecasts.
Education and Experience:
- A four-year college degree or equivalent education in advanced accounting principles and practices. Five or more years of employment in related position. Hotel accounting experience and familiarity with hospitality industry practices preferred.
Skills, Abilities & Requirements:
- Experience working in a Hotel or Resort setting is required for this role.
- This position requires a substantial and successful track record in accounting management while maintaining integrity and professional bearing. Possess advanced knowledge of accounting and budgeting along with the ability to compile facts/figures and analyze information that involves data manipulation or interpretation to arrive at logical conclusions. Ability to anticipate and identify issues and exercise initiative to investigate, interpret and weigh alternatives to reach logical conclusions and make sound business decisions.
- Display consistent professional leadership while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities and projects. Remain positive, resourceful and possess the ability to improvise while working in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure.
- The ability to effectively and efficiently schedule, manage and delegate work. Appropriately and effectively interview, hire, motivate, develop, monitor and address staff performance matters. Possess excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills with professionalism, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office along with the ability to travel when needed. Must satisfy and comply with the legal requirements for employment within the jurisdiction.
- Company operates 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, so operational demands require variations in shift days, starting and ending times, and hours worked in a week.
Evan Kaplan, CPC
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
I am Gecko Hospitality’s Partner for the New England market (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI & VT) within the Hospitality Division and I specialize in permanent placement recruiting for hotels, resorts, country clubs and casinos. I joined Gecko Hospitality after a successful 20-year career in food & beverage executive level operations within various Four Diamond AAA resort hotels, Five-Star Platinum country clubs and nationally acclaimed restaurants. An extensive hospitality operational background paired with an award-winning recruiting experience adds significant value for our clients and candidates.
I am THE expert in multiple full-service hospitality recruiting segments and specialize in partnering with hotels, resorts and country clubs. I seek to create a strategic partnership with clients and a personalized relationship with candidates throughout the search process; resulting in the “right” fit for both parties.
I apply a grounded and balanced approach to recruiting, paired with an analytical method specific to our client’s needs. I take pleasure in matching what’s important to our clients, with what’s important to our candidates – to find the perfect match!