Director of Food & Beverage
Dana Point, CA 92629
Director of Food & Beverage
Acts much like a Director of Operations leading the strategic leadership of this business unit of the resort that includes F&B and a membership aspect. Oversight of Membership, Engineering/Maintenance, Housekeeping, Food and Beverage/Culinary. Several department heads report to this position and the goal is to drive member and guest satisfaction, staff engagement, brand standards, revenue growth and day-to-day operations.
Food and Beverage Management
- Administration and planning of Food and Beverage to meet the daily needs of operation including assign and delegate responsibility, scheduling, and labor management.
- Work with culinary and catering departments to develop attractive menus and events.
- Cost control without sacrificing guest experience.
- Develop and lead managers to achieve proper costs, service goals and resort metrics.
- Review service and offerings for the members and guests and strategize the necessary plans to correct and enhance.
- Encourage improvement of the personnel in the food and beverage department and administer a training and development program within the department which will provide well-trained employees with the possibility of advancement.
- Communicate guest satisfaction to the staff so they understand how to improve
- Oversee departmental matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws.
- Manage profitability and costs
- Champions the brand’s service vision for product and service delivery and ensures alignment amongst the hotel leadership teams.
- Reviews guest feedback with leadership team and ensures appropriate corrective action is taken.
- Responds to and handles Resident, Members and guest problems and complaints.
- Stays visible and interfaces with customers on a regular basis to obtain feedback on quality of product, service levels and overall satisfaction.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Considerable knowledge of complex mathematical calculations and computer accounting programs. Budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- High school or equivalent education required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Several years’ experience in overall Food & Beverage operation as well as management experience. Culinary, sales and service background required.
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
- Previous experience in high end/high volume environment
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
David started his hospitality career at the tender age of fifteen working in a restaurant as a porter and dishwasher. His first manager taught him the importance of hard work and doing the job right the first time. Fast forward several decades later, David has carried that mantra with him throughout his career and worked in some of the finest restaurants, hotels, resorts and country clubs in the United States in several management and director positions.
Since that first job, David worked almost every position possible in a restaurant from cook to bartender to supervisor. After college, David was hired by Marriott Hotels & Resorts and successfully completed their renowned training program. He began his professional management career as a restaurant manager in a very high-volume airport property. From there, David’s career continued with companies such as Wyndham International, Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Hotels & Resorts as well as two Platinum Clubs of America. David’s experience included downtown, airport and suburban hotels as well as conference centers, resorts, city clubs and country clubs.
David has been a certified trainer, a certified food & beverage executive, certified in food service management through Cornell University and a member of the CMAA.
Becoming a franchise partner with Gecko Hospitality just seemed like the right thing to do after dedicating so many years to the operations side of the business. David has always been in the service industry and now wants to serve his candidates and clients by “connecting people and changing lives, one career at a time”. David lives in San Clemente with his wife Rose, son Peter and Dakota, their one of a kind dog. They enjoy traveling, dining, hiking and just chillin’ by the beach.