Director of Rooms
Dana Point, CA 92629
Responsible for the hands-on daily operations of the front office, rooms and related areas – FO, Concierge, Bell, Valet, Housekeeping, etc. Assist with budgets, forecasting and expense control by recommending guidelines based on historical data and strategic planning.
- Must be able to speak, read, write the primary language used in the workplace and have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer skills required – FO, PMS, Accounting. Basic math skills and budget analysis required.
- Must be an engaged and optimistic team leader and mentor and develop your associates.
- Sitting, walking, standing, desk work and lifting a min of fifteen pounds for extended periods of time and to have a sense of urgency while working will be required.
- Bending, Stooping, Squatting and stretching during inspections required as well as the ability to push and pull two hundred and fifty pounds on a wheeled cart on occasion.
- Front and back of the house daily planning is required
- Ability to assimilate strategic possibilities and apply to the daily operation by formulating SOPs
- Positive and engaged interactions with guests to ensure satisfaction
- Positive and consistent communications with all departments and hotel leadership to ensure guest satisfaction is met daily.
- Multiple daily inspections of the public areas to check for cleanliness, lighting, music, temperature, etc. Regularly monitor business and staffing levels, proper service, luxury standards and above and beyond
- Analyze revenue and labor reports on a daily basis to align with forecasting and P&L review, forecasting and budget planning.
- Manage the people resources in your department to attract, retain and motivate the staff. Hire, train, develop, empower, mentor and counsel, conduct performance and salary reviews, resolve problems, provide open communication vehicles, discipline and terminate, as appropriate. Oversee departmental matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws.
- Complete and all tasks and duties assigned.
High school or equivalent education required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
4 to 6 years of experience in senior leadership role in the rooms division and luxury resort experience preferred.
Meet Your Recruiter
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
David grew up in Michigan and started his hospitality career at the tender age of fifteen working in a restaurant as a porter and dishwasher. His first manager taught him the importance of hard work and doing the job right the first time. Fast forward several decades later, David has carried that mantra with him throughout his career and worked in some of the finest restaurants, hotels, resorts and country clubs in the United States in several management and director positions.
Since that first job, David worked almost every position possible in a restaurant from cook to bartender to supervisor. After college, David was hired by Marriott Hotels & Resorts and successfully completed their renowned training program. He began his professional management career as a restaurant manager in a very high-volume airport property. From there, David’s career continued with companies such as Wyndham International, Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Hotels & Resorts as well as two Platinum Clubs of America. David’s experience includes downtown, airport and suburban hotels as well as conference centers, resorts, city clubs and country clubs.
David has been a certified trainer, a certified food & beverage executive, certified in food service management through Cornell University and a member of the CMAA.
Becoming a franchise partner with Gecko Hospitality just seemed like the right thing to do after dedicating so many years to the operations side of the business. David has always been in the service industry and now wants to serve his candidates and clients by “connecting people and changing lives, one career at a time”. David lives in San Clemente with his wife Rose, son Peter, and Dakota, their one of a kind dog. They enjoy traveling, summer vacation ‘up north’, dining, hiking and just chillin’ by the beach.