Stowe, VT 05672
The General Manager should provide leadership and mentoring to their staff for the continued, overall success of the hotel. In this position you oversee the operational aspects of the resort-style hotel with specific and immediate responsibility of the rooms’ division, food and beverage department, sales and marketing, management, spa, and owner relations, staff, budgeting and finance, and revenue.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following represents a list of essential duties and responsibilities; other duties may be assigned as required.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the hotel in all areas.
- Responsible for overseeing the Sales efforts, and overall Revenue Management.
- Responsible for managing the hotel’s financial performance including achieving budgeted revenues, controlling costs, and maximizing profit.
- Ensure full compliance to hotel operating controls, SOP’s, policies, procedures, safety, and service standards.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriated property conditions and the safety of guests and associates. Ability to interact calmly with irate guests, co-workers, and supervisors to resolve tense situations.
- Collaborate with corporate and regional teams to develop annual business plan, to include marketing plan, budget, and capital appropriations. Coordinate input from department managers to develop forecasts of annual revenues and expenses to be included in budget projections.
- Review and analyze monthly operating statements to monitor progress toward established targets and implement cost controls for labor, cost of goods sold, and other controllable costs.
- Collaborate with corporate and regional team to develop annual safety plan for property.
- Direct the employment process for all hotel associates, including hiring, evaluating performance, disciplining, promoting, and terminating.
- Monitor all departments to ensure managers and associates are working effectively and provide appropriate training. Identify associates with management and supervisory potential and provide mentorship and guidance to managers who might be ready for additional responsibility. Constantly monitor employee communications, morale, and motivation levels. Take pre-emptive action to resolve morale issues and promote employee satisfaction.
- Establish and maintain standards of performance for all associates and establish a relationship with all employees which will motivate them to meet and exceed those standards.
- Perform daily room inspections and conduct complete walks of the hotel’s public and back-of-house areas at least twice daily to ensure property-wide cleanliness, good repair, organization, and efficient operation.
- Lead all key property issues including capital projects, customer service, and refurbishments.
- Conduct daily “stand-up” briefings to facilitate communication and comradery. Hold weekly meeting with all departments to ensure all areas of the hotel are operating in a coordinated and efficient manner and employees are aware of progress towards performance targets, customer service issues, maintenance needs, and operational breakdowns.
- Explore business opportunities with an ever-present eye for the innovative and develop plans designed to maximize guest satisfaction, profitability, and market share.
- Act as a steward for proper controls ensuring property compliance with legal, safety, labor, and service standards, while ensuring the associates are upholding the brand and training standards each day.
- Must be able to travel on occasion.
- Other Duties
- Conduct and/or attend meetings/training as required by Scout’s corporate leadership.
- Perform other duties as requested by Scout corporate leadership.
- Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Supervises between 5 to 15 direct reports at any time.
Minimum Required Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Experience in F&B operations, and knowledge of yield management and hotel reservations.
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Must be able to work well in stressful, high volume, and high-pressure situations.
- Must be able to self-monitor and self-motivate.
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure.
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be able to prioritize departmental functions to meet due dates and deadlines.
- Must have flexibility, anticipate some scheduled weekend, holiday, and evening hours including participation in the Manager-On-Duty coverage as needed.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Experience working with hotel software systems including Sales & Catering systems, Property Management Systems, and F&B Point of Sale Systems.
- Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high-degree of optimism, professionalism, and collaboration.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, possessing a positive, outgoing, and naturally curious personality.
- Ability to work productively with other employees as part of a team.
- Ability to handle obstacles in a positive and professional manner and to effectively communicate these problems, along with suggested solutions.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced business environment.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business, technology, and financial information and data.
- General Manager
Evan Kaplan, CPC
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
I am Gecko Hospitality’s Partner for the New England market (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI & VT) within the Hospitality Division and I specialize in permanent placement recruiting for hotels, resorts, country clubs and casinos. I joined Gecko Hospitality after a successful 20-year career in food & beverage executive level operations within various Four Diamond AAA resort hotels, Five-Star Platinum country clubs and nationally acclaimed restaurants. An extensive hospitality operational background paired with an award-winning recruiting experience adds significant value for our clients and candidates.
I am THE expert in multiple full-service hospitality recruiting segments and specialize in partnering with hotels, resorts and country clubs. I seek to create a strategic partnership with clients and a personalized relationship with candidates throughout the search process; resulting in the “right” fit for both parties.
I apply a grounded and balanced approach to recruiting, paired with an analytical method specific to our client’s needs. I take pleasure in matching what’s important to our clients, with what’s important to our candidates – to find the perfect match!