Hotel General Manager - Full Service
Johnson Ranch Loop, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405 San Luis Obispo, CA US
Hotel General Manager
The Hotel General Manager will be a “hands-on” leader and have the intrinsic desire to meet the needs of our guests and team members. Items that will be instrumental in driving the success of this hotel include: Community involvement, an appreciation for family and food & wine, and a connection to nature & the ocean. This property requires a Hotel General Manager that has a strong rooms background along with experience in sales, food & beverage and event planning.
Located in the heart of the central coast, this upscale, craftsman-style oceanfront hotel features 100 boutique guest rooms and first-class amenities reminiscent of a luxurious beach house. Offering a restaurant and bar overlooking the coastline with 360 degree views, salty ocean breezes, and refreshing cocktails and another full-service restaurant where classic meets contemporary California.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities – not limited to just these
- Demonstrating Leadership - Utilizing interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Developing and Building Teams - Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect and cooperation among team members.
- Improving Service - Improving service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback and individual coaching when needed.
- Coaching and Developing Others - Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Modeling Appropriate Behaviors - Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Supervising Team Members - Supervising and managing team members. Managing all day-to-day operations. Understanding team members’ positions well enough to perform duties in their absence.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems - Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Managing Daily Operations of the Hotel - Managing day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the guests on a daily basis.
- Guiding, Directing and Motivating Subordinates - Providing guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Administrating Recognition Programs - Participating in team member recognition programs, publicly recognizing good quality, performance and service.
- Organizing, Planning and Prioritizing Work - Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize and accomplish your work.
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others - Handling complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
Hotel General Manager Requirements:
- At least 5-7 years’ experience as a Hotel General Manager within hotel operations demonstrating progressive career path responsibilities
- Full-service Hotel experience required
- Independent Boutique Hotel experience required
- A background in Food & Beverage management required
- Being familiar with the central coast preferred
- Excellent written English and copy-writing skills
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience with hotel operations software programs
- Skillful in project planning / tasks and able to prioritize projects / tasks
- Bachelors or better in Hospitality and Resort Management.
- Must be flexible and adaptable
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
David started his hospitality career at the tender age of fifteen working in a restaurant as a porter and dishwasher. His first manager taught him the importance of hard work and doing the job right the first time. Fast forward several decades later, David has carried that mantra with him throughout his career and worked in some of the finest restaurants, hotels, resorts and country clubs in the United States in several management and director positions.
Since that first job, David worked almost every position possible in a restaurant from cook to bartender to supervisor. After college, David was hired by Marriott Hotels & Resorts and successfully completed their renowned training program. He began his professional management career as a restaurant manager in a very high-volume airport property. From there, David’s career continued with companies such as Wyndham International, Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Hotels & Resorts as well as two Platinum Clubs of America. David’s experience included downtown, airport and suburban hotels as well as conference centers, resorts, city clubs and country clubs.
David has been a certified trainer, a certified food & beverage executive, certified in food service management through Cornell University and a member of the CMAA.
Becoming a franchise partner with Gecko Hospitality just seemed like the right thing to do after dedicating so many years to the operations side of the business. David has always been in the service industry and now wants to serve his candidates and clients by “connecting people and changing lives, one career at a time”. David lives in San Clemente with his wife Rose, son Peter and Dakota, their one of a kind dog. They enjoy traveling, dining, hiking and just chillin’ by the beach.