Sous Chef-MBBC (OEM)
Dana Point, CA 92629
The Sous Chef is 2nd in command in their respective culinary department. You are supervising the prep, cooking and execution in the kitchen. Responsible for training, mentoring, and supervising the cooks and culinary team so dishes are presented according to the Executive Chef’s and the hotel standard recipes. This ensures consistency and quality while ensuring food safety standards are being enforced.
- 2-3 years of Sous Chef experience in high-end/luxury/upscale hotels or restaurants.
- Must have a high-level knowledge and experience of with sanitation, kitchen safety and health department regulations.
- Classically trained is preferable with a culinary degree from an accredited school.
- Thorough knowledge of both cold and hot food preparation.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written in the primary language used in the workplace.
- Supervise staff and follow company policies in holding any subordinate staff accountable.
- Must be able to use current technologies and have basic computer skills to analyze all data concerning revenues, costs, prepare/read budgets, department P&L.
- General knowledge of basic management that involves planning, HR, leadership, food production, effective scheduling and people skills, and use critical thinking in order to coordinate these in the day-to-day and to find solutions to everyday issues.
- Job requires standing and walking for extended periods of time and hours vary. Bending, stooping, twisting, squatting, stretching, etc will also be required.
- Interview, select, train, supervise, schedule, counsel and discipline staff unit efficiency. Communication via pre-shift meetings, monthly meetings, one-on-ones must be held consistently.
- Assign duties to all employees for efficient operation of the kitchen. Visually inspect, select and use only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, fowl and other food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items.
- Full unit inspections are required daily to ensure proper grooming and training of staff, cleanliness, preventive maintenance of kitchen equipment, etc.
- Make sure that the receiving of products, storage, especially temperature, and rotation of food products to comply with health department regulations. This includes inspecting walk-ins and dry storage are clean and organized.
- Utilize math skills for following recipes. Use the requisition process for ordering and distributing supplies. Set up daily assignments to staff and supervise the proper requisitioning for each station.
- Set up creative displays.
Meet Your Recruiter
Franchise Partner | Hospitality Division
David grew up in Michigan and started his hospitality career at the tender age of fifteen working in a restaurant as a porter and dishwasher. His first manager taught him the importance of hard work and doing the job right the first time. Fast forward several decades later, David has carried that mantra with him throughout his career and worked in some of the finest restaurants, hotels, resorts and country clubs in the United States in several management and director positions.
Since that first job, David worked almost every position possible in a restaurant from cook to bartender to supervisor. After college, David was hired by Marriott Hotels & Resorts and successfully completed their renowned training program. He began his professional management career as a restaurant manager in a very high-volume airport property. From there, David’s career continued with companies such as Wyndham International, Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Hilton Hotels & Resorts as well as two Platinum Clubs of America. David’s experience includes downtown, airport and suburban hotels as well as conference centers, resorts, city clubs and country clubs.
David has been a certified trainer, a certified food & beverage executive, certified in food service management through Cornell University and a member of the CMAA.
Becoming a franchise partner with Gecko Hospitality just seemed like the right thing to do after dedicating so many years to the operations side of the business. David has always been in the service industry and now wants to serve his candidates and clients by “connecting people and changing lives, one career at a time”. David lives in San Clemente with his wife Rose, son Peter, and Dakota, their one of a kind dog. They enjoy traveling, summer vacation ‘up north’, dining, hiking and just chillin’ by the beach.